Saturday, November 27, 2010

Family Traditions

When someone says "It's a Family Tradition" I can't help but start singing the Hank Williams Jr. song in my head. A little country I know but I can't help it. My dad loved that song too. However traditions are so important to me. I especially love this time of year because of all the family traditions I have had the majority of my life. I cherish them all and I love the idea of passing them down to my children one day.

THANKSGIVING
Thanksgiving has always been busy but I love it. Growing up (and still now) we would have Thanksgiving lunch with my dad's side of the family and Thanksgiving dinner with my mom's side. I still look forward to it every year. I love having a day when you know your going to get to visit with family: grandparents, parents, siblings, cousins etc. Especially when you don't get to see some of your extended family very often it is definitely a time I cherish. My mom's side has gotten considerably smaller when it comes to who meets for dinner. It's sad that its changed the last few years. We have family that lives down south so its hard for them to travel during the holiday's. We have family in town too that can no longer make it to dinner. I am hopeful one day that they will be able to again attend the Thanksgiving dinner. I miss terribly having them there. Maybe when the little ones are a bit older. At least that is my hope. Especially since its a tradition that goes back 20+ years. Brian's family meets for lunch as well. I absolutely love visiting with his family. I know I am marrying into a great family and I am so excited about spending the holiday's with them as well. So this is why we are so blessed that we get to have three different Thanksgiving's with different family members. My only wish is that the day was longer so we could spend more time visiting with each of our families.

DAY AFTER THANKSGIVING
The day after Thanksgiving is one of my very favorite times of the year. I remember as a little girl going over to my grandparents house to help decorate the Christmas Tree on this day. I adore this tradition! It is one I have continued in my own home for the last several years.

CHRISTMAS EVE
Christmas Eve has always been spent with my mom's side of the family. We gather, eat and open gifts. Back in the day there was lots of singing and videotaping too. We don't really do that too much anymore but it is so funny to go back and look at the tapes from the late 80's and early 90's (I can't wait to show this to B). I love that we still gather for this tradition. It is another one that I hold dear to my heart.

CHRISTMAS DAY
Christmas Day used to be spent with my dad's side of the family. I love the memories that were made there. In 1999 my dad passed away and since then this tradition has changed a little. We now meet about a week before Christmas to celebrate. I like this tradition too.

Brian's Christmas Tradition is something that I absolutely love and I can't wait to be an official member of the family to enjoy this every year. B's family meets for a Christmas morning breakfast and then everyone opens gifts. In the evening everyone comes back over for Christmas dinner. It is so fun spending the entire day with his family. Not to mention it is perfect that both of us are able to keep the family traditions we had growing up. I guess that is just fate! Lol! I crack myself up! :-)

Honestly though there are so many family traditions that are important to me that aren't even mentioned in this post. I am very excited continuing old traditions and making new traditions as Brian and I start our life together.

And by new traditions I mean I would love to start a baking day with the women in my family, annual shopping day, annual trips etc. So many things to look forward too.

Hope you all enjoy & cherish family traditions as much as I do! Happy Holiday's!

1 comment:

  1. I love holiday traditions, and it's very sad that very few familes even have dinner at the same table these days, much less for holidays. Some traditions will change over time, and you and your HUBBY will make some traditions of your own, and pass them on with your own children. Thats the BEST part, is having traditions with your own kids!

    ReplyDelete